Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Final Project: Follow Up

For this project I took a KFC box measured it up to create my template, when I did this I changed the box so it better fit what i was using it for, I added a few inched here, a few inches there, and changed a few aspects of the box so it was more had a more practical use.

Since I had the KFC box I didn't waste time on getting a printed folding dummy of my box because i thought they were close enough it wouldn't matter. I used the dummy to make sure specific design aspects we in alignment, such as the circles, and the chicken prints on the top of the box, so when it was closed it look great, and flowed together nicely.

I made the template in Illustrator, designed the chicken logo in Illustrator, and everything else, i.e. the circles and type, I did in Indesign.

I learned from this project, that nothing is as it seems and that you should always when possible create a folding dummy because they are extremely helpful, I used the one I had in more then one ways. Also, that having the ability to test out the folds, of the product, whether its a box, wedding invitation, desk calender, its always way for effective, even if it does take more time, and cost more money. The problems I had, were that I made the box deeper, which didn't affect much, but I also made it wider, so the flaps for the top and bottom should have been made wider as well, but I didn't take that into consideration, and didn't see that until I had the final piece printed, cut out, and folded. I knew immediately what had happened, but it was too late. So in the future I will do this for myself, and recommend for others, to always to a folding dummy, of exactly what your template is that your using, if I would have done that I would have had a near perfect product.

No comments:

Post a Comment